Lil Mabu is a rising young rapper making waves in the drill scene. At just 18 years old, he has already achieved viral success and entered the Billboard charts. However, his affluent upbringing has sparked controversy and accusations of cultural appropriation.
This article will provide an in-depth look at Lil Mabu’s background, career, net worth, and the debate surrounding his public image.
Lil Mabu’s Bio and Stats
|Full Name||Matthew Peter DeLuca|
|Date of Birth||April 4, 2005|
|Age||18 Years Old|
|Birthplace||Manhattan, New York|
|Years Active||2019 – Present|
|Net Worth||$1 Million|
|Height||5 Feet 9 Inches|
Lil Mabu, birth name Matthew Peter DeLuca, is a teenage rapper based in New York City. He was born on April 4, 2005, in Manhattan to a wealthy family.
Mabu began rapping at age 12 and released his first track “Miss Me” at age 15 in 2020. He attended the prestigious Collegiate School on the Upper West Side, with annual tuition costing $60,000.
In 2022 at age 17, Mabu broke onto the drill scene with his mixtape Double M’s. The project featured tracks like “No Snitching” and collabs with artists like Dusty Locane.
His viral hit “Mathematical Disrespect” peaked at #47 on the Billboard Hot 100 in 2023. Now at 18, Lil Mabu has an estimated net worth of $1 million.
The Controversy Around Lil Mabu’s Background
Despite his young age, Lil Mabu has faced backlash regarding his privileged upbringing and accused cultural appropriation of hip-hop culture.
His father, Peter DeLuca, is a successful funeral director in Manhattan. The family lives in an affluent neighborhood with a luxury lifestyle.
Meanwhile, Lil Mabu’s music is inspired by underground drill rap which originated in low-income Black communities in Chicago and New York.
His music videos depict stereotypical imagery of hood culture. For example, his viral track “Trip to the Hood” shows Mabu comically transitioning from his wealthy neighborhood to a run-down housing project.
Many have called out Lil Mabu for cosplaying poverty and essentially making a minstrel show out of Black culture for entertainment and profit.
The fact that an affluent white teen is profiting off this perceived cultural appropriation has made Mabu a controversial figure in hip-hop.
Lil Mabu’s Musical Career and Hits
Despite the backlash, there’s no denying Lil Mabu’s talent and growing success at a young age. Here’s a look at his blossoming music career so far:
- 2019: Lil Mabu begins rapping at age 14.
- 2020: At 15, he releases his debut single “Miss Me” which gets 300k Youtube views.
- May 2021: Mabu drops “Demon Time” showing his flow evolving. It gets a few million streams.
- August 2021: Releases “King of the World” continuing his new style.
- 2022: Mabu releases drill mixtape Double M’s with 7 tracks. Collaborations include “No Snitching” with Dusty Locane.
- May 2022: Drops controversial viral track “Trip to the Hood” depicting him leaving his wealthy neighborhood.
- May 2023: Releases biggest hit “Mathematical Disrespect” which peaks at #47 on Billboard Hot 100.
- October 2023: Collabs with girlfriend Chrisean Rock on diss track “Mr. Take Your B**ch” targeting Blueface.
It’s clear that Lil Mabu has talent as a rapper, producer, and hitmaker. His profile and numbers have steadily risen with each release.
He’s also leveraged controversy and viral moments to boost his popularity. Despite being only 18, Mabu is now an established name in drill rap with a growing fanbase.
Lil Mabu Net Worth
Given his young age and rising career, determining Lil Mabu’s exact net worth is difficult. However, we can estimate his current net worth based on his assets and income sources:
- Music sales and streaming royalties: As a Billboard charting artist, Mabu earns royalties from music sales, downloads, and especially streaming. His viral hits likely earn steady revenue.
- YouTube revenue: Mabu has millions of views which translates to ad revenue on YouTube. “Mathematical Disrespect” has over 43M views alone.
- Show bookings: As his fame grows, Mabu can command larger performance and booking fees.
- Merch sales: Artists make decent money selling branded merch. Mabu likely profits from merch sold via his website.
- Investments and assets: Mabu’s family is already wealthy. It’s likely he has trusts, investments, and assets further adding to his net worth.
Considering these income streams, industry estimates, and his family’s wealth, a $1 million net worth estimate seems reasonable for the young viral rapper Lil Mabu.
This number will certainly grow if he continues his current trajectory. Despite his controversial public persona, Mabu is undeniably savvy and strategic when it comes to the music business and self-promotion.
Lil Mabu’s Controversial Relationship with Chrisean Rock
Lil Mabu generated more headlines in October 2022 when he apparently began a romantic relationship with fellow rapper Chrisean Rock. Chrisean was previously dating Blueface, with their volatile relationship well-documented online.
Mabu and Chrisean seem to have bonded over their mutual disdain for Blueface. On October 16th, they released a scathing diss track together called “Mr. Take Your B**ch.” The sexual music video immediately got attention, now sitting at over 20 million Youtube views.
Chrisean confirmed the relationship by debuting new neck tattoos of Mabu’s name. They’ve stoked more controversy by being accused of faking the relationship as a publicity stunt.
Others have criticized their large age gap, since Chrisean is 25 and Mabu only recently turned 18. Regardless, the supposed couple is keeping tongues wagging online.
Conclusion: A Polarizing Rapper Achieving Success
In summary, Lil Mabu has quickly risen from a teenage rookie to a polarizing viral sensation. His affluent background has led many to criticize him as an inauthentic culture vulture. However, Mabu has successfully leveraged controversy to boost his profile and music career.
Love him or hate him, his streaming numbers and chart placements don’t lie. At just 18 with a net worth estimated around $1 million, Lil Mabu is doing something right strategically even if his persona rubs people the wrong way. If he can maintain momentum without burning out as a young artist, a long hip hop career likely lies ahead.
What do you think of Lil Mabu? Does he deserve his success and fame despite the problematic concerns around him? How far can he rise in hip hop? Let us know your thoughts in the comments!