Kerry Sanders is a retired American broadcast journalist who built an impressive career over 3 decades. He was a long-time correspondent for NBC News, covering major news events around the world.
During his many years on television, Sanders garnered fame and wealth. Let’s take a closer look at his net worth and how he achieved success.
Kerry Sanders’ Age & Career
|Full Real Name||Kerry Sanders|
|Date of Birth||October 19, 1960|
|Born Place||New York City, New York|
|Education||University of South Florida|
|Net Worth||$5 million|
Kerry Sanders was born on January 1, 1960 in Tampa, Florida. He is currently 63 years old. Sanders developed an interest in journalism from a young age.
After graduating from the University of South Florida in 1982 with a bachelor’s degree in mass communications, he began working at local Florida TV stations.
In 1991, Sanders got his big break when he was hired by NBC News as a general assignment reporter based in Miami. He immediately found himself covering major stories like the ValuJet crash in the Everglades.
Over the next 30+ years, Sanders reported from the scenes of wars, natural disasters, political events and more. He traveled the world covering news for NBC.
After decades of outstanding work, Sanders retired from NBC News on January 17, 2023. During his farewell segment on the NBC Nightly News, he thanked his wife Deborah for her support over the years.
Now let’s take a look at Sanders’ net worth and how he built his wealth.
Kerry Sanders’ Net Worth
As of 2023, Kerry Sanders’ net worth is estimated to be $5 million.
The bulk of his wealth comes from his long tenure as an NBC News correspondent. Although his exact salary is unknown, top reporters at major networks can earn $500,000 a year or more. It’s likely Sanders was making a six-figure salary for many years.
Additional income came from his appearances on popular NBC shows like Today, Dateline and MSNBC programs. Sanders likely received bonuses and pay bumps over the course of his prolific career.
The journalist also won prestigious awards that carried cash prizes. This includes the Alfred I. duPont-Columbia University Award which came with a $20,000 reward.
With no major scandals or controversies, Sanders was able to steadily build his wealth over 30+ years in the limelight.
How Did Kerry Sanders Build His Net Worth?
Kerry Sanders became a multi-millionaire thanks to his successful journalism career. Here are some of the key factors that contributed to his high net worth:
- Over 30 years at NBC News – His long stint as an NBC correspondent provided steady income and opportunities to increase his salary over time. Longevity was key.
- Major news coverage – Sanders reported on huge events like Hurricane Katrina, the Iraq War and the OJ Simpson trial. This high-profile work raised his fame and negotiating power.
- On-air appearances – In addition to NBC Nightly News, he frequently appeared on Today and other shows. More TV time means higher pay.
- Awards and honors – Sanders won awards like the Peabody and Dupont-Columbia Award. These honors likely came with monetary prizes.
- Book deals – Like many prominent journalists, Sanders likely earned money from book deals over the years.
- Speaking engagements – In retirement, Sanders can earn $5,000 – $10,000 for speeches, corporate appearances and more.
- Investments – Sanders likely invested some of his high salaries over the decades, allowing his wealth to grow.
Through hard work and savvy career moves, Sanders built an impressive $5 million net worth.
Kerry Sanders Height, Weight & Physical Stats
Kerry Sanders has maintained a slim, athletic physique standing at 5 feet 11 inches (1.80 meters) tall and weighing around 128 lbs (58 kg). Now his locks have turned an elegant grey shade befitting his age.
His appearance on camera was always professional and distinguished thanks to his fit build, expressive eyes and full head of hair.
Even into his 60s and retirement, Sanders stays committed to remaining physically fit and energetic.
|Height in feet||5 feet 11 inches|
|Height in meters||1.80 meters or 180 cm|
|Weight in Kg||58 kg|
|Weight in pounds||128 lbs|
Kerry Sanders’ Personal Life and Other Facts
- Early in his career, Sanders worked at local TV stations in Florida like WTLV, WINK and WTVT.
- Sanders has been married to his wife Deborah since 1982. They have two adult sons together.
- Sanders is an avid athlete who enjoys biking, tennis, sailing and more.
- Memorable moments include dodging bullets in Iraq and getting attacked by a tiger on live TV.
- Sanders won prestigious awards including the Peabody, Dupont-Columbia Award and several Emmys.
- He retired from NBC News in January 2023 after 30+ years as a correspondent.
Kerry Sanders built an impressive career as a broadcast journalist for NBC News. His decades of reporting on major news events around the world allowed him to build a net worth of $5 million.
Sanders earned steady paychecks and increased his wealth through high salaries, bonuses, appearances, awards and wise investments.
Now in retirement, he can enjoy the fruits of his successful journalism career. Sanders serves as inspiration for aspiring journalists everywhere.